Monday, April 25, 2011

The Simple Act of Breathing

I have never had trouble breathing in my life and let me tell you, it is a very scary experience.

I didn't put the pieces together until later as I had lived in such stress for so long that I just thought my life was somehow "normal".

The problem for me very simply was I wasn't speaking or sharing any of my life experiences with others in their entirety. I was giving bits and pieces to some but never the whole story. Luckily, for me, I have friends who want to know the "whole" story.

The stress of living this way eventually led me to have periods where I honestly could not relax enough to breathe. Yikes!

It is such a simple thing to do---breathe in and out awhile. Sometimes though, not so easy to do given life circumstances. 

The other trouble of not telling the whole story to others is that it intensifies the desperation of the situation and makes things seem so hopeless. I honestly did not know I was harboring a secret about the elephant in my living room until I was able to catch my breath and speak. And I was ready in my own time. Thankfully, for me, it wasn't too late for a new beginning, a fresh start.

Breathing. I don't take it for granted anymore. I take better care of myself physically to foster that ability to take that deep, relaxing breath---in and out awhile. And, when I have some moments to relax and just be, I practice breathing and letting go of any expectations I have of life right here, right now...and that I have all I need in this moment.

I am not at my goal weight. Sometimes I really don't like my employment. I don't spend enough time with my children. And the list goes on and on...and includes breathing and taking steps one at a time as they appear to me and when I am ready to do so.

1 comment: